From: € 479
14 Hours | 1 to 4 Persons
Our experienced driver will pick you up from your location (hotel, airport, port etc.) and we will begin our trip. As we approach the town of Kalabaka, where we will make a short stop for lunch, you can see the gigantic boulders of Meteora magically emerge from the horizon with all their glory.
Kalabaka is a beautiful little town and it’s situated at the foot of the Meteora peaks.
Meteora are rare rock formations where unique and enormous rocky columns composed of a mixture of sandstone and conglomerate rise from the ground and reach up to 400 meters (1312 ft) in height. As a UNESCO World Heritage site, this geological wonder took place 60 million years ago during the Paleogene period where a series of earth movements pushed the seabed upwards creating a high plateau and these rock pillars were then formed by extreme weather conditions. The name of Meteora translates to “elevated”.
The region is also known for its one of a kind monasteries making it one of the most famous tourist attractions. You will have the chance to visit 2-3 out of the 6 of them depending on the time schedule. These monasteries are situated onto the high cliffs and into the rock pillars with the largest of them being the Monastery of Great Meteoron.
The monasteries have survived throughout history thanks to the great height combined with the steepness of the cliff walls which kept away all but the most determined visitors. Access to the monasteries was at first very difficult and extremely dangerous, requiring either long ladders or large nets used to pull up both goods and people. Nowadays they are accessible by staircases and pathways cut into the rock formations.
Afterwards we will stop for a meal in Kalabaka and we will return to Athens.
- Transfer in new, luxury air-conditioned vehicle
- Pick up / drop off from your location (hotel, airport, cruise ship etc.)
- Professional local English speaking driver/guide
- Bottle of water
- Food and drinks
- Entrance fees at any point of interest
- Tips (optional)
- The drivers are not licensed to accompany you on your walk to the top of the Monasteries. (Licensed guide Available on request )
- The monasteries have strict dress codes. Sleeveless clothing and shorts are permitted, as long as you cover your shoulders and knees. The monasteries also provide wrap-around skirts and shawls free of charge.
- Entrance fees: Tickets are available for sale at the Ticket Desk
- A moderate amount of walking is involved; comfortable shoes are recommended
- Sunscreen and hats are recommended for visits during the summer months
- Private tour can be customised to meet your interest. Please inform the driver/guide
- Free Cancellation up to 24 hours in advance